Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Never bite the hand that feeds you~


As the sayings goes "做人不要忘本。"

But I say "做人更不要忘恩负义。"

Never bite the hands that (once) feed you.

Why am i blogging about this in the middle of the night?

I feel I had to let this out.

We recently let a skilled technician go. He resigned on his own acccord, in the beginning of this year.

Citing " better opportunities that other company is giving him and a promotion and some foreign "S" pass privileges etc.

Looking at his rosy future ahead, of course we let him go. Wish him well and that's abt it.

He's a foreign Indian, quite an okay fellow in my opinion. work when told to, although showed some attitude. but for me, quite manageable. the rest of the workers didnt give much thought abt him, 'indifferent' i must say.

So today I was busy as usual, managed to find some time to visit a customer in Pioneer sector, and saw a competitor brand sample on his desk. But we had been business partner for so long, he * an australian* didnt hide anything from me, so we were talking about our directions, how the economic situations is making the shipping repairs business decline.

And i causally brought the topic of the foreign object in his desk. He didnt minced his words.

HiM: "Oh yes that sample was brought to me last week. Some new company getting a distributorship and he brought his foreman with him last week. "

Him: " I remember him working for your company as well. He used to pour the resins for my company I remembered"

ME: " Is his name S ? "

Him: " Yes. He was wearing his foreman uniform, he seems like he's promoted?"

Me: " well, if you need my opinion, I see some poaching going on. and some idiot thinks he's getting a bright future but actually the company is using him as a 'publicity campaign' ? "

S is a smart man. Having cheated some many overtimes for small jobs, got good salary every mth because we chose to'close one eye' due to the work nature. We given him what he wanted. His wife came to stay with him, we gave him long leaves. Basically we took care of his welfare and that is how he is rewarding us?

I feel sorry for him somehow. the company on the surface offers him yes, a better salary every mth. but w/o overtime, its really shitty for a foreign worker here. even if you're a foreman or not.

But he doesnt know how much he is being exploited for this job? Maybe he does. or trying to get back at us. that I duno.

If you think my remarks is scathing, you should hear his 'presentation' to my customer about our product.

Just becoz " I have been in this line for years and working for them, I am doing an undercover exposure for you regarding the weakness and let you know how my new company product is superior etc and all that fucking shit coming from his stupid mouth.

My customer is no fool. he was telling me, 'although u guys are expensive, never gave me any problem, i dont see why i wont be using you just becoz of some new boys in town'

Really some people.. can stoop so low just to keep their head up.

its not the first time i see ex colleagues joined competitor and expoilt every single thing they could gained from the ex company.

I feel sorry for the morales and ethics that corrupted the competitivness of the industry. Sure, poaching is quite a norm in every industry. but surely, dont one have a certain principle in life call .... " 骨气? "

Somehow, I can forsee people will tell, ' I need to eat, my family need to eat, so if someone offer me a better opportunity in the same industry, I will go for it '

So morality and ethics is not even an issue at all. whether its pure ambition or family issues or financial crisis of your own, the push factor for ppl to join the competitior seems endless.

I sigh.

I sigh because somehow, one day I MIGHT walk that unethical path. I tried not to.
so far, because my work experience spans across industry, not within industry. I didnt want to end up eating my own words.

So the number of competitiors is slowly piling up. I am going to have a 'good time' in the coming months. perhaps years, but one thing for sure, I will climb my way up. whether in this companny or the next. and i wont turn my head back and says ' fuck the ex-coy'

Never bite the hands that once feed you. Or at least, brings you to where you are.

With this, I bid you guys good night.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take it easy, that's working society... Just be yourself... =)

11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah.. what bosses can do is to do their best to earn more so that they can afford to give their employees more too.

if one day my staff were to leave me, and low pay's one of their reasons, then I'd blame myself for it too. Cos like you said, they need to feed their family too. Esp if their family's in dire straits. Can't help it i guess. Survivability comes first.

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home