Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Sister & Chengdu


A lot of you folks doesnt know I have sisters. Do you?


Perhaps you knew.


I have 2 elder sisters. one already married, moved out of the house, selling jewellery in Bugis Junction. the other one. a beit problematic.


you see, she's really engrossed in being a bummer. reminds of a bummer friend of mine, except that he's male of coz lolx.


She really gave me a lot of headaches. she was orginally working comfortably in Ministry of Manpower, and one day she decide to pack her desk and proclaim 'retirement'.


Her reason?


"It not a lot (of money) anyway. and the scholars are really the one having a bright future there. we're merely helpers"


Stoic, cruel fact. How can anyone deny this statement anyway? but I have to says, "who are you to say QuITS? "


My dad isnt going anywhere. Gambler, womaniser. Been there done that. Ended up the family in debts because of him. Ended up having a bad name for Chua because of him. list goes on.


When sis quitted, mum is only working as a pantry maid in an MNC. that old fool is working to redeem his debts. whois gonna support her? ME? (dream on)


After her MOM stint, i remember vividly she spend most of her days sleeping away. quite unproductive activities. but if she doesnt hold out her hand to ask for a cent from mom, I 'll really keep silent abt it. Mom's money come from me, if she ask for it, I'm gonna chop off her hands.


-so it was quite fortunate she did not ask her for a cent-


then one day she told the whole family she's going into...


INSURANCE.


"great" I tell myself. "So she's gonna become a self-employed".


INSURANCE AGENT. the name becoming so dirty and over-used and everyon who head this term will have a tendency to say GOODBYE to whoever is doing this line. so much so, the insurance companies collaborated and called the new job title...


FINANCIAL PLANNERS. (pretty much the same old shit but the packaging had changed)


For the 1st month she joined this line, I WAS HER FIRST CUSTOMER. (WOW I AM AMAZED) Ask me about insurance agent payout and I'll tell you. its like MLM gone legal. anyway MLM is legal. this is about a bunch of lower end agents getting money for the company and the other people who reaped from this, is the directors and CEO.


-Call yourself a self-employed- BECAUSE YOU CONTROL YOUR OWN WORKING HRS THAT ALL.


You ask a client to buy a OA investment using CPF. maybe a couple of hunds in cheque ONCE-OFF. you ask a client to buy investment using REAL CASH, perhaps more. but you need to hit like what? 10-20 ppl per mth to earn a decent living? if you can do that, yeah you're the top earners.


A lot of people in this line, MLM, insurance, financial etc. Had a lot of motivation talks (I call this brainwashing) to make people feel like working their asses off so they could own a Ferrarri or buy a condo. I guess my unfortunate sis is one of 'em.


The job lasted a year. her customers? Me, mum, dad, some relatives. End of story. No contacts in this line, you can eat shit.


Our accounts was passed around like football. because those assholes claimed to take care of your investment because you bloody make them buy from you. and all you had in those pieces of crap papers is your fucking agent name on it.


I not sure if those makes you feel good. but as they always say, you need suckers in this world to feel better about yourself or make a living. another cruel fact of life. write that down.


So she bummed around again. FOR AN entire year. really I wondered. how can anyone bummed around for an entire year without any goals?


One year passed quickly and soon enough, she says she found a job in SAFRA. Admin asst.


"GOOD" I think. she's beginning to wise up and face the fact that only by working humbly you can get on with life. because you're aint a elite or scholar material, you'll really have to content yourself by working as a second fiddle.


it was quite good initially. but the problem with bummers, you rested too long. its eating inside you. you find the working hrs exhaustive and you find yourself yearning for bed and nap.


So it begins. the constant lamenting of "I had migraine, I need to take MC". "Too long hrs I need a break" those kinda excuses.


A few MC's is pretty fine to me. Its not my life. I just thought how could the company take such patience on those people who kept giving MCs?


the final straw came unexpectedly. I was doing my reservist and elder sis sms-ed me like 12am during the 2nd day of my ICT.


"S in hospital. Overdosage of medication, come quick."


Man, I could tell you, I never cry out loud in my entire life ever since N left. I aint gonna do it now. of coz i nvr cried. but i couldnt help teary-eyed that nite. I wore my uniform, march straight up to my Commanding officer and explained I ned to get to the hospital right away.


A fella sergeant friend volunteered to drive me to the hospital. a lot of things running through my mind during the journey there.


"what she did?" "did some guy broke her heart or something?" "overdosed? what pills?" "GAWD PLS DUN DIE!"


So I reached the hospital and what FUCKING PISSED ME OFF.


She made MUM CRY. So i saw mum, red-eyed, tearfully told me sis is in intensive right now, getting her stomach pumped. Khoo (My fella sgt) bid me gdbye and left me with my family. we had a fitful rest that night.


That day I was told, she was overdosed on some muscle relaxant that used to fought her nagging migraine. she overdosed on it and puked all over the room and fell unconscious. THOSE DaMN MCs she took to gave herself a trip to the hospital!


We came round the next morning, there she was, cheerfully says, HI GOOD MORNING!"


I erupted.


In the C class ward with about 16 patients, I shouted. "GOOD WHAT F**KING MORNINNG?" You took your MC pills, you went into hospital which isnt necessary and you made your mum cry, disturb my reservist and make me so MALU in front of the officer by weeping for you and all you could say is GOOD F**KING MORNING?


Mum was shocked. Nurse turned her head and looked at me sternly. Sis was silent. it was like a graveyard for that 30 secs before I was whisked out of the ward.


Mum was telling me to keep my cool and I told her "lOOk you dont understand, i know you loved her but that isnt the way to handle someone who is suppose to take responbility for her own health!"


so she tried to pacified me by telling me we're in the hospital and there are other patients around. better keep my cool etc etc. I spoke my mind. I felt alright.


So that day, I found numerous smses (Send msgs to her senior in SAFRA). dirt came out. pretty much dirt. she took MC's like a chain MC. (means she take MC one day and go again the next day, and took 'em again) I would sack her if I am her employer.


I called up her colleagues and asked if her work is overloading or is she facing any stress? her colleague say no. nothing of the sorts. and SAFRA even gave her a GET-WELL basket the next day. (I think the company is too good to her)


So she quitted the following day she was discharged. Blaming me for causing her embrassment in her workplace. (actually she already wanted to quit that day before she was in hosptial, i saw her sms to seek tender of resignation)


I totally gave up on her.


So after this episode, it was like 2006? She bummed ANOTHER FULL YEAR which is 2007 now. and still jobless. Like i said, I totally gave up.


So relatives recently wanted to set up a textile business in China and found they needed someone they can trust over in Chengdu. So they came over and speak to my mum, and sis was equally excited. mum was silent while I was elated. I told them if sis could make it in China, that would be great.


(I could sense that mum doesnt want sis to be away from her for so long) I guess all mothers do feel this way.


I told her " She had been resting for so many yrs. I think you should let her go"


"If she cannot make it, at least she tried and come back with more experience. If you (m0m) never even give her one chance to try, I think you're not giving her hope at all."


-I also mentioned I'll cut her monthly allowances ( =x ) because I saw her giving sis MY MONEY-


This family is in disarray, the last thing I ever wanted was to see a bummer, womaniser and mum struggling to feed herself. So I went all out, to ensure sister will go to Chengdu.


And that is my last brotherly love I had for her. If Singapore isnt the place for her, maybe overseas will enlighten her on how ppl in China toiled hard just to earn a living. Maybe she'll come back inspired and raring to work again? then again, Who knows if you nver try? Right?


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


On a lighter note which I really hate to mention: Sgt Khoo was telling me in msn


K: remember last year in reservist?


Me: yeah?


K: Could you imagine if I tell your men, Sgt east CRY IN THE OC OFFICE LAST YEAR, I wonder how the men will feel?"


Me: ...


Me: OK DINNER ON ME. MEDIA BLOCKOUT OK! F**KINSHIT.


K: OK!


P:S But I really didnt cry LA!!!!



3 Comments:

Blogger レイチェル said...

wOah.. I din know yr sis story was sooooo long. U only told me part of it in the cabby previously..
Hope yr jiejie can move on to a new life. (^_^)

9:28 AM  
Blogger eternal-east said...

I really hope so. I had enough with bummers ard me. my friends bummed is enough, my own family bumming? I cannot take it.

9:51 AM  
Blogger レイチェル said...

yr frens bum ard.. also no need u feed them mah. Heckcare la.. aiyo!

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home